No 1 Document for 2011 (full text)
7. Continuously Innovate in the Water Conservancy Development Systems and Mechanisms
(23) Improve the water resource management system. Strengthen integrated management of water resources in rural and urban areas, apply coordinated planning and implementation to urban and rural water supply, integrated utilization of water resources, water environment management and flood control, and promote optimal allocation of water resources. Improve the water resource management system that combines watershed management and regional management, and establish a working mechanism for water resource management that features well-defined rights and responsibilities, clear division of work, disciplined actions and coordinated operation. Further improve the coordination mechanism for protection of water resources and prevention and control of water pollution.
(24) Expedite water conservancy projects and management system reforms. Classify reforms by the nature of water conservancy projects and establish a sound operating mechanism. Deepen the administrative restructuring of state-owned water conservancy projects and guarantee financial resources to public-service and quasi-public-service water management agencies to fund their repair and maintenance activities. The central government grants subsidies to public-service projects in central and western regions and poverty-stricken areas to fund their repair and maintenance. Properly address social security issues of persons that are laid off by water management agencies. Deepen the ownership reform of small-sized water conservancy projects, clarify owners and users, assign the responsibility for repair and maintenance to specific entities and individuals, give subsidies to public-
service small-sized water conservancy projects to fund their repair and maintenance, and explore modes of community-based and specialized water conservancy project management. Expedite the promotion of the outsourcing mechanism for not-for-profit projects funded by the government. Give full play to market mechanisms in construction and operation of water conservancy projects, guide for-profit water conservancy projects towards market-based operation, improve their corporate governance structure and encourage them to operate independently at their own loss or profit.
(25) Improve local water conservancy service systems. Establish the local water conservancy service systems that feature clear duties, reasonable architecture, competent team and quality services, so as to improve local water conservancy service capabilities in all respects. Establish the local water conservancy service organizations by towns or small watersheds, strengthen their public service functions in respect of water resource management, flood and drought control, farmland water conservancy and application of water conservancy technologies, establish their staffing as required and include their fund demand in the county-level public budget. Establish farmer's cooperative organizations for water use.
(26) Press forward with water tariff reform. Fully unleash the regulating role of water tariff, balance efficiency and fairness and promote water conservation and industrial restructuring. Phase in the cascade tariff rates for water consumption in the industrial and service sectors. Widen the gap in tariff rates between water-intensive sectors and other sectors. Reasonably adjust the residential water tariff rates in urban areas and phase in the cascade tariff rates. Under the principle of promoting water conservation, reducing farmers’ water spending and assuring sound operation of irrigation and drainage facilities, the agricultural water tariff reform will be carried out in such a way that the operating and administrative expenses of agricultural irrigation and drainage facilities will be subsidized by public finance as appropriate. The system will be explored that applies preferential tariff rates to water use within the farmer quota while introduces cascade rates for excess use.
8. Strengthen Leadership over Water Conservancy
(27) Assign Specific Responsibility to Party Committees and Governments at All Levels. The party committees and governments at all levels shall, with an overarching and strategic view, strengthen the work on water conservancy and conduct timely researches and solve major issues in water conservancy and development. The chief executive responsibility system will be implemented in respect of flood and drought control, drinking water safety assurance, water resource management and reservoir safety management. Local governments shall
effectively implement all measures relating to water conservancy reform and development, having regard to their local conditions. Water administration departments at all levels shall increase the sense of responsibility, perform duties with due diligence and effectively implement all tasks relating to water conservancy reform and development. All relevant departments and organizations shall development and improve supporting measures and methods according to their scope of duties and create synergies to advance water conservancy reform and development. Stepping up efforts in farmland water conservancy shall be included as an important element in the performance excellence initiatives in local rural communities. Party organizations in local rural communities shall fully play their role of stronghold to lead farmers’ efforts in accelerating improvement in rural production and living conditions.
(28) Push ahead with law-ruled water governance. Establish and improve the system of water-related laws and regulations and expedite improvements in laws and regulations in respect of water resource allocation, water conservation and protection, flood and drought control, rural water conservancy, soil and water conservation and watershed management. Press forward with integrated law enforcement on water conservancy, and strictly enforce rules and procedures relating to water resource assessment, water taking permission, water project planning permit, flood impact assessment and water and soil conservation plan. Strengthen management of rivers and lakes, and prohibit illegal occupation of river or lake waters by construction projects. Step up efforts to establish national supervisory systems and processes for flood and drought control. Improve the water dispute mediation mechanism that combines prevention with mediation while focusing on the former, and improve the emergency preparedness plan. Deepen reform in the water-related administrative permission and approval system. Prepare the water conservancy plan in a scientific manner, improve the national, watershed-specific and regional systems of water conservancy planning, expedite preparatory work for major projects and enhance the role of the water conservancy plan in managing and disciplining water-related activities. Properly carry out reservoir-induced resettlement and put in place follow-up support policies.
(29) Strengthen team building for water conservancy. Improve the competencies of workers and officials working on water conservancy to accommodate new requirements posed by water conservancy reform, and enhance the capacity of water survey, design and project execution and law-based administration. Support water conservancy disciplines in higher education institutions and, secondary vocational schools. Attract, foster and promote managerial talent, technical talent and highly skilled workers. Improve the talent assessment, transfer and incentive mechanisms. Encourage scientific and technological personnel to serve the front line of water conservancy reform, strengthen training and continuing education of front-line workers in water conservancy and help tackle their difficulties in work and life. All workers and officials in the water conservancy sector shall carry forward the spirit of “commitment, responsibility and truth,” align closer to people’s well-being, deliver more services to lower rungs of the social ladder and better serve the overall development of the economy and society.
(30) Mobilize the whole society to care for and support water conservancy. Step up efforts to increase the public awareness of national conditions in respect of water resources, increase the public sense of flood, saving water and water resource protection and mobilize broad-based efforts in water conservancy development. Water-related education shall be included in the national quality education system and the primary and secondary education system, and designated as a crucial element in training and education of government officials and civil servants. Water conservancy shall be included in public service advertising to create a favorable public atmosphere for sound and rapid development of water conservancy. Governments at all levels shall commend and reward entities and individuals who have delivered outstanding contributions to accelerating water conservancy reform and development. Accelerating water conservancy reform and development is a glorious mission, and also a considerable challenge and great responsibility. We must unite closely under the CPC Central Committee with Comrade Hu Jintao as its general secretary, stay current, keep forging ahead and strive to turn a new page in the water conservancy drive.