The two sessions (in simplified Chinese 两会) refer to the annual sessions of the National People's Congress (NPC), the country's highest legislative body, and the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), the country's top advisory body, whose members represent various defined groups of society.
The two sessions meet for about 10 days each year, usually in March. The CPPCC usually opens two days before the NPC. The two sessions make important national level political decisions.
Sometimes, the two sessions refer to those meetings at the local level. The local two sessions usually convene before the national ones.
1. (English) What the two sessions mean.China Daily. March 3, 2010.
2. (Chinese) The two sessions. baike.baidu.com.
1. (English) English version of the Official website of the NPC
2. (Chinese) The official website of the NPC
3. (Chinese) News on NPC, People's Daily Online