National Congress of Communist Party of China
BEIJING - The 18th National Congress of the Communist Party of China (CPC) is scheduled to open on Thursday, Nov 8, 2012. Following are some basic facts about the congress:
-- In line with the CPC Constitution, the National Congress and the Central Committee elected at the congress are the supreme leading organ of the Party.
-- In line with the CPC Constitution, the National Congress is held every five years.
-- The functions and power of the National Congress are as follows:
(1) To hear and examine the report of the Central Committee;
(2) To hear and examine the report of the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection;
(3) To discuss and decide on major issues concerning the Party;
(4) To revise the Constitution of the Party;
(5) To elect the Central Committee;
(6) To elect the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection.
-- More than 2,200 delegates, elected from more than 82 million Party members across the nation, will attend the 18th CPC National Congress.
-- The 1st CPC National Congress was held in 1921, with 12 delegates representing about 50 Party members nationwide.