First National Congress of CPC
On July 23, 1921, the First National Congress of Communist Party of China (CPC) was held at 108 wantze Road (now 76 Xingye Road) in Shanghai. Thirteen delegates, Mao Zedong, He Shuheng, Dong Biwu, Chen Tanglu, Wang Jinmei, Deng Enming, Li Da, Li Hanjun, Zhang Guotao, Liu Renjing, Chen Gongbo, Zhou Fohai and Bao Huiseng, attended the meeting. Two representatives sent by Comintern (the Communist International) also attended the meeting as non-voting delegates. On July 30, the Congress was forced to suspend when a search by the police in the French concession for the meeting place came precariously near, and had to move to Jiaxing Zhejiang province, where it resumed and had its last day's meeting on a pleasure boat on the South Lake. The First National Congress of the CPC, after adopting the Party's program, passing the resolution on the Current Work and electing the Central Bureau of the Party, proclaimed the
founding of the CPC.
The site of the First National Congress of the CPC is a typical Chinese house, built in the autumn of 1920, which has a courtyard and a gate encased in a stone frame known as "shikumen". It was then the residence of Li Hanjun, a delegate to the Congress and Li Shucheng, his elder brother, in September1952, the House was renovated and turned into a memorial, and it has been opened to the public since then. In March 1961, the State Council proclaimed the site of the First National Congress of the CPC as a key historical Monument under the state protection. In March 1984, Deng Xiaoping Wrote the Name of the Memorial House of the First National Congress of the CPC.